Wednesday 21 November 2012

My technological evolution in 2 days

Once at my workplace we were rewarded with a free paper-based calendar (what a well-deserved bonus). To my own surprise, I refused the gift. I am modernizing myself. The next day with colossal excitement and a bunch of questions, I was visiting an electronic, “Beep and Gadgets”, exhibition. To my own unexpected astonishment, I felt geeky, but cool! What a progress!
 I started to really understand that knowledge of high tech and the skills to take advantage of it, is an important a factor to succeed in your career. For example, other departments, like finance, design, you name it, are more dependent of abilities within IT. Therefore, following the technological development with the right speed is critical for your own career development and for boosting your intelligence. It definitely gives more value to your skills when you are really good and fast with high tech. Therefore, I decided that it would be advantageous for me to be swift with beeps and gadgets.
Beeps and gadgets are not only nuts and bolts, gaming, fast social updating, virtual dating, but it’s a whole world of opportunities in your pocket. If you are really fast with following high tech progress, there are opportunities to explore, and not only for men (who were the majority on the exhibition), but also for women.

For example, in the fair I was introduced to a relatively new shopping concept still under development: a virtual dressing room (even there I found something that is REALLY the area of my interest- can I be more sophisticated?). Adapting the 3D software and a web cam, it allows the online shopper to try on a dress before buying it.
On this stage of progress by the Virtual Dressing Room (not sure whether it’s the name of a company, or a concept), this is how the virtual dress looked on me:
















And the company is determined to reach these results:
I believe there is a market for the concept. However, knowing me, there is a darker side to it. Think how many dresses you can buy, should it be so easy and fun to try it on. And what if there were an app, which, based on your historical behavior and preferences, could find and suggest a new perfect dress- while both you and your phone are asleep. And the next morning, you would be looking forward to wake up to check out your new outfit. (Actually, if such an app, knew my wardrobe, and could suggest what I have to wear that particular day, it can save me hours in the morning).
Back to more serious matters. My main observation from the fair is that being swift with high tech soon will be one of the most important factors for personal success.  I am sure my generation wouldn’t want to be less sophisticated and less speedy than those boys in 10 years time.
And one day they will step into business life. I am just imagining how smart and fast they will be by that time. They will be dictating us how hasty we have to adapt the new high tech. At least we have to be prepared for that.
Personally, that day I fell in love with Samsung Galaxy Note tablet and its magical pen. This will be my next gadget. As their logo predicts, I am going be more creative, faster, sharper, and more sophisticated.
 So, since I am on the technological modernization phase of my life, I need a plan for how I will hop on the wagon and increase the speed of adapting to new technology and explore its opportunities. So there is my action plan. I also hope it will motivate somebody else to step into wild technological world:
1.       Find a gadget within a technological area that could interest you, while still being a little challenging, (for example half-professional cameras.)
2.       Follow the market development within that area.
3.       Explore your creativity while using it.
4.       Challenge the speed of working with it.
5.       Be pro-active and integrate the tool at your work.
6.       Share your findings with a geek- friend.
So, even if it can be boring for chicks…


…it can certainly be fun for geeks:



And it’s much more fun when…





2 comments:

  1. A very educational and inspirational post!

    There's such a big choice of gadgets now, so sometimes I really feel lost. And it seems to be too much of hi-tech products in my life, so it supresses my creativity. Instead of drawing pictures with pencils, I prefer to watch beauful pics made by others (and think "Why bother, everything was invented before me").
    Or like all the nets and messengers - they help to keep in touch intercontinentally, but sometimes people prefer to chat online instead of going out together.
    And sometimes they're so eager to brag and show off via facebook all the time, and this promotes the culture of showing off among youngsters instead of bringing up the real values.

    It's like the idea that allegedly belong to Einstein: "I fear the day when the technology overlaps with our humanity. The world will only have a generation of idiots."

    So sometimes I'm really glad to have a tech day off, far away of my PC, tablet, TV, players and using smartphone only for calling =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found this post inspirational.
      You are right about the negative side of the coin.
      Societies set high standards in almost every aspect of our life- today everything has to be done faster and better- because it’s possible. Technological progress is also to blame. It creates an even more competitive world. In order to “survive”, we need to be visible- a new trend. Updating facebook is just a very easily accessible tool to highlight yourself. But the culture of showing off was always there and always will be.
      Yes, we can chat/surf/blog/ instead of meeting friends. But you can chat/surf/blog about your sick kids, find people who will understand the challenges you face. By chatting, you can be motivated, inspired, comforted, and updated- without “wasting” time in physical places. When I was studying at the university back in Ukraine, 1997, I got an assignment to find out what was the yearly harvest of potato in Georgia (not kidding) the same year. Our teacher rejected the internet originated source as unreliable. The library came to the rescue, where I had to spend the whole day to find this piece of information- without socializing with anyone that day. I would rather have chatted that day.
      And, if Einstein was living today, he would probably have been the best of all software/app developers. Taking into consideration his love to accuracy and an eye for detail and “sky-scraping” IQ, we would have loved programming. In fact, he probably would have found something else within technology, not yet existing. I guess he didn’t know what we was talking about :)
      Personally, I don’t see the negative sides of it. The negative side is that I don’t have enough time for it. Therefore, it’s all about preferences.

      Delete